Tuesday 17 July 2012

Got him!

Breaking news: In a sortie last night under cover of darkness (with an electric torch!), I found my rogue gastropod!


He was already making his way from the bottom of the greenhouse when I caught him in the act!

In retrospect, I had made quite a snail/slug haven at the base of the greenhouse - because it is one of those tall thin mini-greenhouses, I had put loads of bricks on the bottom shelf to weigh it down so it didn't get blown over. With all the damp, plus the bricks as cover from predators, it was probably the perfect place to hide out.

So I've reorganised now - tidied up and used a lot less bricks, and I'll know to regularly check there now to make sure I'm not harbouring any unwanted stowaways.

It feels a sense of achievement in catching the snail - let's just hope I'm not like that deluded bunch of fishermen in Jaws where they think they've caught the right shark, only later to proved very, very wrong(!). Signs are good so far though... no more munched leaves this morning.


And as for Mr Snail himself, I have to confess I relented on my sentence pronounced yesterday - as the chickens were tucked away and asleep, I decided to extend mercy and threw the snail alive right up the back of the garden. It's fate may still be sealed though, running the gauntlet with the many hedgehogs we have milling around, as well as a resident song thrush, which we've witnessed killing many a snail, breaking the shells on our garden path.

No comments:

Post a Comment